So many folks over the years have asked me “when are you going to have a new unofficial audition?”
Well today’s the day! Ladies and gentleman you are all invited to submit your faux-dition!
For those who don’t know, the unofficial audition (or faux-dition) allows voice talents the opportunity to create a fake “audition” for a high profile (and non-existent) job opening. In other words…it’s all for fun and not for a real job. Here’s the unofficial auditions we did about 4 years ago for “The Price is Right”.
THE NEW GUY IN LATE NIGHT
My choice for which show to NOT audition for was an easy one for me.
When the new “Late Show with Stephen Colbert” debuted, the show did not (and as of yet still does not) use a live announcer as David Letterman did and as Conan O’Brien and Jimmy Fallon do.
Colbert himself read the pre-recorded intro in the first shows. This of course got me thinking about a possible new Faux-dition at the time. In more recent episodes, it sounds as if they have a regular announcer doing a pre-recorded intro over show titles.
I can’t give the fellow any credit here with a shout-out because there seems to be no credit given to him on any web site. But, rest assured, he does does a perfectly satisfactory job. This faux-dition should not be seen as an indictment of him but rather just a way for the rest of us to have some harmless and unprofitable fun.
As always this event is for fun (“this is not a competition, just an exhibition; please, no wagering”.) No one…but NO ONE who enters this phony audition event is in line for the announcing job on “Late Show with Stephen Colbert ” and no way is ANYONE associated with “Late Show with Stephen Colbert ” endorsing, condoning or otherwise support this announcing fantasy. They also own all the copyrights to name, music and everything else to do with the show. I make no money on this but merely am promoting one of the coolest VO jobs in our world. Let’s all dream a little together.
I’ll grab 3 judges and we’ll whittle all the contestants down to 3 top finishers.
You as the participating voice over talent are responsible for the mixing and audio quality (which has been a factor in past judging and voting); your audition needs to sound broadcast ready which means the mix should sound as great as your voice. If you want to be a pro you gotta sound like a pro…completely.
Here’s my demo (just as an example – I’m not saying it’s good enough for broadcast but it is broadcast ready). Perform the announce in whatever way you think would be most likely accepted by “Late Show with Stephen Colbert” producers if they were auditioning you as a new announcer (which, as far as I know, they are not).
We discussed cars and even a new home for the winner but decided on something more impressive
FIRST PRIZE: A set of 4 dishwasher safe audio’connell plastic cups
SECOND PRIZE: A set of 1 dishwasher safe audio’connell plastic cups
THIRD PRIZE: 1 dishwasher safe audio’connell plastic cup
Takes your breath away, doesn’t it?
Remember – although it is not – treat this like a real audition. Give us your best performance.
* Download the script in PDF form HERE. Please note the timing notes on the script which you should try and follow as it matches the show’s timing with the opening credits.
* As a reference, here’s a LINK to the show. The credits start at about the 6:32 mark and yes, the band seems to perform a faster paced theme in the live show (oh well)
* HERE is your music bed (right click on the link and click “Save Link As” to save it to your computer
Do NOT deviate from this bed, do not create your own and do not substitute another version of music. There will be a lot of entries and the judges can’t listen to auditions of varying lengths because you think you can produce a better bed.
* Note if you like that the new announcer the Colbert Show is using is not your classic, bravado, big voice announcer — you might want to take that into account in your read (but as always, do it ANY way you want)
* Email your audition to peter at audioconnell dot com; MP3 file only 44.1/16 mono is fine
* Name your file: YOURLASTNAME_UnofficialLSWSC_Audition
* I’ll accept auditions until January 1, 2016 and then sometime after that, we’ll announce the winners